Wednesday, August 22, 2007

# 9 Merlin and library bloggers

I guess I skipped this initially and went right on to RSS feeds. I checked out some of the blogs on Merlin and then added it to my RSS feed. A couple of interesting blogs to note: "the shifted librarian" focusing on our need to be able to shift our focus at the library since so many things are tecnology related. I've only been a Librarian for a year, but I can see the need for this. I can still remember card catalogues (the real thing, not a computer) and librarians stamping the due date on the card in the back cover. I even remember using the internet for the very first time in the Library, at least 10 years ago. Google wasn't around....

I read another blog about the changing faces of our customers. Yes, this is a tough one. How do we keep the library as a library for our more "traditional" customers, while also creating a welcoming environment for our less traditional customers....the technology crowd. When the kids are in the library in the afternoon waiting for the computer, I can't distract them with a good book. All they want is the computer, and they're not very quiet. On the other hand, they're the future. I teach teens in my other job, and while they can be challenging, they are also amazing human beings. I agree with the blogger--We need more ways to make the library their space too.

However, i didn't agree with the blog suggesting that we rethink the dewey decimal system! No way! Its standard stuff! I can walk into any library and find my way around. How could we change it?

No comments:

Yahoo! Avatars U.K. & Ireland

Falling water

Falling water